Modify the Terms of Your Divorce – or Enforce Them

Modifying The Terms Of Your Divorce

Once a family law agreement has been approved by the court, it becomes binding. This means that if you or your former partner ever needs to make an adjustment to your alimony payments, custody agreement, parenting time, child support or any other ongoing stipulation of your agreement, you must seek an official modification.

Similarly, if your partner has not been following the requirements of the decree, you should seek out the assistance of an attorney to file a contempt order to enforce the agreement. Don’t risk your case by attempting to withhold parenting time or support payments in response to his or her actions, contact an experienced contempt and enforcement lawyer instead.

Understanding The Grounds For Modification

There are a number of reasons a post-decree modification may be necessary. If one partner has lost or secured a new job, the needs of your child have changed, a parent is planning to move or relocate, a former spouse has remarried or if there has been a significant change of circumstances such as a disability or illness.

In Minnesota, the changes in circumstances have to be significant in order to warrant a modification. Because of this, it is important to agree upon a detailed and comprehensive plan during your initial proceedings whenever possible. Approval of a modification is at the discretion of the court, which is why a compelling presentation of your circumstances is crucial.

Our Woodbury modifications lawyer has helped families throughout the Twin Cities secure complex modifications to their decrees. We are familiar with the courts involved in these proceedings as well as the judges and understand how to create successful strategies for modification.

Strict Enforcement, Challenging Contempt

It can be frustrating when your former partner is not abiding by the stipulations of your agreement. When this happens, we can help ensure these obligations are fulfilled by filing for an enforcement action. Contact us if you need help regarding:

  • Child support enforcement
  • Parenting time issues
  • Division of assets
  • Alimony payments

Failure to comply with any aspect of your decree can be addressed by going to court. Our firm has achieved exemplary results for our clients when issues arise regarding contempt and enforcement.

Speak With Attorneys Who Want To Help

Taking matters into your own hands will never be as productive as consulting with our firm. Call 651-288-2844 to get in touch today to talk about resolution options. You may also contact us online to schedule your initial free consultation.

Schedule Your Free Consultation