What Compensation Can You Pursue for a Car Accident?

What Compensation Can I Pursue?

Every person that is involved in a crash and suffers injury, has 3-4 potential claims. Below is a general guideline of those potential claims.

Property Damage: As long as you did not have any fault in the accident, the insurance provider of the other party will likely cover your automobile repairs, even if you do not have your own insurance coverage. If you do have your own policy, your own provider will cover your damages before seeking reimbursement from the insurance provider of the other driver. In cases where you share fault, your insurer will pay your damages proportionately to the amount of your fault.

No-Fault Benefits: You might have access to no-fault benefits even if you are at fault for the accident. Typically, no-fault insurance pays for medical bills, lost wages and other expenses related to the crash. It is mandatory to have your own no-fault insurance; however, if you don’t, you may still be covered by the policy of the vehicle you were in at the time or if you live with someone who has no-fault coverage.

Medical Benefits: Medical benefits provide up to $20,000 for emergency room stays, ambulance costs, rehabilitative therapy, surgical procedures, prescription medications and other costs.

Wage Loss: Insurance should cover 85% of your wages — up to $500 per week, which includes sick leave and vacation time that you use to go to medical appointments.

Replacement Services: This coverage provides a weekly stipend of up to $200 to pay for various tasks if the main homemaker cannot perform them any longer. You cannot collect these benefits the first week after the accident.

Death Benefits: If you have damages such as a deceased loved one’s wages or funeral, you may receive up to $200 a week or up to $5,000 for a funeral.

If you have purchased additional coverage, or elected to STACK your benefits, you may be entitled to additional benefits!

Claim against the at-fault driver: If no-fault benefits do not cover the damage caused, you may be able to file an additional claim. Damages may include:

  • Medical expenses
  • Past wage loss
  • Pain and suffering
  • Past emotional distress
  • Future medical expenses
  • Loss of earning capacity
  • Future pain and suffering

If the other driver does not have ENOUGH insurance coverage for the damages you have sustained, then you may be eligible to receive UNDERINSURED motorist benefits through the policy of coverage on the vehicle you were in at the time of the crash and/or your own policy of coverage, depending on the facts of your case.

Seek Help For Your Motor Vehicle Accident Now

Accidents of any kind are stressful. In addition to the initial shock of the accident, you may face mounting bills and be unable to return to work. Fortunately, if you were not at fault for the accident, you may be eligible for compensation.

Do not face your concerns alone. Call Bowden Cyr, PLLC, at 651-288-2844 to discuss your case. You can also schedule an appointment online to visit our Woodbury offices. We will evaluate all avenues for potential compensation and advise you on strategies moving forward.

Schedule Your Free Consultation